Thursday, June 30

i can't decide

Call me 'nesty', but I can't stop changing the sheets on the baby's crib. Yes, apparently this is one of my most pressing full-term pregnancy dilemmas. At night and early in the morning I lay in bed (dutifully on my left side) and contemplate the intricacies of life like "Do we want to use the bumpers I made a few months ago?" and "Does that yellow sheet look right with that brown crib skirt?". Luke very patiently listens to my banter and occasionally mutters in response, which I truly appreciate. I know it's ridiculous, but how do I make it stop! I think I've finally settled on the brown checked sheet with the brown and teal crib skirt. Combined with the brown crib and brown wood panelling (circa 1960) I can see how it might be a bit brown. But seeing as the baby is set up in the sunniest room in the house, and we have white walls and some white furniture on the other side of the room there is actually a balanced feel to the room that makes me glow with pleasure. Besides, I have a cool super-secret project that I intend to hang directly above the crib which is both colorful and exciting. I'll give you a hint.

Don't you just love the checked quilt that's currently draped over the backside of the crib? That was a surprise gift from Luke's mom when we announced the coming baby. It was handmade by a family friend for Luke when he was a wee one, and I think it's absolutely adorable.

His parents also passed along a wonderful baby dresser that was passed along to them years and years ago. No one is quite sure how many babies this beauty has been through, but I'm so glad the Little Oyster gets to be one of them. I think it's perfect for our space and it obviously helps to counteract some of that brown. The night they dropped it off at the apartment I loaded it with all variety of adorable onesies, diapers and other baby goods. Now I go through the drawers several times a day and touch all the things that are going to become such a central part of our life in a few weeks. After a second baby shower with his side of the family last weekend we are feeling much more prepared, both practically and emotionally. Already I'm realizing how important it is to have relationships with women who've borne and raised children. Not only do they know what things are baby 'essentials', but they also know all the right things to say to encourage and support a new mom. I'm beyond grateful for the mothers, sisters, grandmothers, aunts, friends, and other women in my life, and I'm proud to be counted as one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment