Thursday, February 13

our songbird

Each day it becomes more and more apparent that we were not mistaken in naming Wren for a chattering, warbling little songbird.  Silent moments around this house are very rare, due mostly to her constant stream-of-thought conversations and her love for singing.  My mother tells me that when she watches Wren play she feels like she's watching me as a toddler those many years ago.  
It's exhausting but it's also the best.  Even when I'm trying to get her to stand-the-heck-still for a photo op!
Yesterday at 3 in the afternoon I felt the inexhaustible urge to make Wren a dress using a pillowcase I picked up at the thrift store many moons ago.  I scoured the interwebs for some direction or inspiration for a pillowcase dress, and quickly realized that I'm actually not a big fan of them.  Honestly, I think it is mainly about using ribbons for straps.  Back a few years ago I made one for my niece and was disappointed with how the ribbons both looked and functioned (or didn't function to stayed tied very well, as the case may be).

I also really wanted to try something with sleeves, since I always tend to make sleeveless pinafore/jumpers (as seen here, here, here, and here).
So instead of a standard pillowcase dress, I chose to use a pattern (Simplicity 5627) from my stash (also picked up at a thrift shop even more moons ago).

I primarily used the pattern to help form the bodice, and I added a soft blue cotton lining because the pillowcase I used is quite see-through.  The skirt has much less fullness than the pattern calls for, simply because the pillowcase wasn't wide enough.  But it still gathered very nicely at the waist.  And I cut two strips to make the ties.  The pattern suggested using ribbon around the waist, but I used leftover fabric instead because of my aforementioned opinions regarding ribbon.
Perhaps my favorite detail of all is that turquoise button at the collar.  I asked Wren to choose whatever button she wanted for her dress, and I don't think I could have chosen better myself.  PLUS, I didn't need to make any buttonholes, because a tiny loop of elastic is sewn between the bodice and lining instead.  

I am in love with this dress for both the shape and the fabric.  I want one for myself, but I don't think they make pillowcases that size... 

Oh well.  Let's enjoy a little song from the songbird herself, shall we?

4 comments:

  1. lol becca told me about danny boy--glad i got to witness the performance! her new dress rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I'm watching a toddler sing Danny Boy. I can't get enough of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma used to say that watching you reminded her of me! Oh well at least we know who she takes after! Love the dress. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing about today's "snow day" ~ watching this clip of Wren singing. Melt my heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete