Tuesday, September 28

the beauty of the mundane











A few weeks ago someone asked me something like, "Seeing as you're 4 years out of college, what type of career do you think you'll pursue?" Now, I understand that this is perfectly normal and legitimate question to ask another adult human, but for some reason the question caught me off guard. In the past four years I've gradually stopped thinking of my life in terms of 'career goals'. It may sound strange, but at this point if you were to ask if I want a career, I'd probably have to say "eh, probably not". But go ahead and ask me if I can find value in a 'mundane' existence that has no upward mobility beyond time with friends and family, healthy foods brought forth fairly by human hands, thoughtful awareness, general contentment, physical exertion, days spent in the sun, and maybe a sewing machine. Yes, please.


the mystery does not get clearer by repeating the question,
nor is it bought with going to amazing places.
until you've kept your eyes
and your wandering still for fifty years,
you don't begin to cross over from confusion.
Rumi

1 comment: